Text Link Ads

Friday, March 26, 2010

Auxiliaries Learning

Hello English World's blog reader!

Now, I would like to share my knowledge which has been got in my university.

Ok, do you know auxiliaries? I suggest you to imagine it as verb helping, because according to Marchella Frank with Modern English book is listed "Auxiliaries verbs are helping verbs that add structural meaning or a semantic coloring to verbs carrying the full burden of lexical meaning".

Alright, if you have known the definition of auxiliaries, let's learn to types of auxiliaries. Here there are three types:
1. Tense Auxiliaries, it performs a structural function only. The example word for tense auxiliaries are Be, Have, Will-Shall. Be occurs with the -ing present participle in the progressive forms of the tenses, and with the -ed past participle in the passive forms of the tenses. Have is used for the perfect tense. Shall and Will are used for future tenses.

2. Do Auxiliary, it is used only in the simple present tense (do or does offer) and in simple past tense (did offer).

3. Modals Auxiliaries, these auxiliaries add to the verb a special semantic component such as ability, obligation, and possibility. But here, i would like to explain modals auxiliaries have functions for expressing ability, permission, requests, advice, suggestion, preferences, necessity, and choice.

1. Ability, this modal always used word can, could, and be able to.
E.g.: I can speak English well.
She could swim when she was a student of junior high school.
John was able to read 100 English novels last year.
Note: ‘Can’ or ‘be (am, are, and is) able to’ is used for talking about ability in the present.
‘Could’ or ‘was/were able to’ is used for talking about ability in the past.

2. Permission: May, can, could, and do you mind if…….
E.g.: May I borrow your book?
Could we buy your company name?
Can I visit to your lodge?
Do you mind if I sit beside you?

3. Requests: will, can, would, could, would you mind…..?
E.g.: Will you forgive me?
Can you borrow me a lot of money?
Would you come to my party?
Could you buy my hand phone?
Would you mind reading a loud some articles for me?

Note: feel the different kind of modals auxiliaries between Permission and request! Let’s to learn it! Make a difference between it. The modal of Permission always use subject I for asking permission, whereas requests always use subject you for requesting. Is it clear? Ok, we will continue the lesson how to learn auxiliaries.

4. Advice: Should, Ought to, Had better
E.g.: You should go to hospital.
She ought to study how to make a sentence.
We’d better finish this task now.

5. Suggestions: Could, Why don’t….?, why not…..?, Let’s, How about….?
E.g.: May be we could go to America.
Why don’t we invite him for going to theatre?
Why not call her right now?
Let’s go to Jakarta.
How about staying in lodge?

6. Preferences: Prefer, would prefer, would rather.
E.g.: I usually prefer Sundanese food.
I’d prefer to have Japanese food tonight.
I’d rather stay at home.

7. Necessity: Have (got)to and Must
E.g.: I have to be a winner in this competition.
We must come to that event.

8. Choice: Don’t have to & No choice: Must not and can’t
E.g.: You don’t have to buy this book.
You must ask to your friend.
You can’t change your choice.

Ok, after you read the article above, if you don’t understand, you can make comments to me by leave messages. Thanks if you want to read this article. Wait for anothers article here!


0 comments:

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More